Maplefields Academy

A Specialist Social, Emotional & Mental Health Academy

Together We Achieve


Take a look at some of our recent photos.

Swipe content

Annual SEND Report for Parents

Annual SEND Report for Parents, Carers

and Governors 2017 –2018


Maplefields is an all age Special school for pupils aged 5 – 18 years. All pupils

have a Statement of Special Educational Need or an Education, Health and

Care (EHC) plan that identifies severe social, emotional and mental health

difficulties according to the SEN Code of Practice 2014 (or social, emotional

and behaviour difficulties under the previous SEN Code of Practice 2001). It is

recognised that pupils may also have a range of other associated or additional

learning difficulties.

This SEND Information Report outlines information regarding ways in which we

provide support for all our students in order for them to learn and grow

intellectually, emotionally and socially in a nurturing environment.

The information required to be included in the SEND Information Report is

stated in the Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations 2014

Schedule 1: Information to be included in the SEN information report. This can

be found HERE.


1. What kinds of Special Educational Needs does the school provide for?

Maplefields provides primarily for pupils aged 5 – 18 with social, emotional and mental

health difficulties (SEMH) according to the SEN Code of Practice 2014; or social,

emotional and behavioural difficulties (SEBD) according to the SEN Code of Practice 2001.

All pupils have a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and

Care (EHC) Plan. It is recognised that all pupils have complex needs and many have

identified associated and significant learning difficulties.


2. How will I know how the school supports my child?

During the first six weeks of a pupil’s entry, staff use a variety of assessment tools to

ascertain the pupil’s strengths and needs, including their social, emotional and mental

health development. Individual targets are set and shared with the pupil and

parents/carers at a post-admission planning meeting. Throughout the year, pupils’

progress is carefully tracked to ensure that any underachievement is quickly noticed and

put right.

Results from standardised testing, professional judgements and formative assessment

are used to inform planning, teaching and the target setting process.

All Statements of Special Educational Needs or Educational, Health and Care (EHC) Plans

are reviewed at least annually. This gives the opportunity to consider whether the

Statement or EHC Plan is still appropriate and to review the progress the pupil has made

over the previous period. Other relevant professionals will be invited to these meetings

to provide an external view on a pupil’s progress and to provide advice and guidance if


Each term, the school provides a written report on each pupil detailing progress made

throughout the year. Parents/carers are invited to school to discuss the report.

The school is also subject to the Ofsted framework.


3. How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

Teachers plan using students’ achievement levels, differentiating work to better match

ability to work provided for all pupils in the classroom. The pupils have a more

personalised curriculum to match their individual interests, needs and abilities. Pupils will

be provided with additional support to increase progress and inclusion and that may

include specialised resources, ICT and/or additional adult help.


4. How will I know how my child is doing?

Your child’s progress and attainment is shared with you in a variety of ways, including:

  • The home/school diary
  • Annual reviews for Statements and EHC plans
  • PEP meetings for Looked After Children
  • Annual and termly reports
  • Through informal contact with staff


5. What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

The school has a variety of ways of supporting your child’s wellbeing. They include:

  • A high ratio of adults to children; access to a familiar adult is particularly important to build relationships
  • The provision of quiet, safe spaces and benches to spend time with an adult outside of the classroom when necessary
  • Access to a range of intervention programmes to develop skills and knowledge with regard to individual well-being
  • analysis of individual children’s social and emotional abilities using the Boxall profile
  • A safe and calm environment with structured and organised learning opportunities
  • Opportunities for our pupil voice to be heard via the School Council
  • The Extended team includes an occupational therapist, Counsellor and Family, Support Workers who play a key role in monitoring and promoting pupil wellbeing.


6. Students with medical needs

Staff who administer medicine complete training provided by an appropriately registered

body and follow DfE guidelines included within ‘Supporting pupils at school with medical

conditions’ Statutory guidance for governing bodies of maintained schools and

proprietors of academies in England February 2014


7. What training are the staff supporting children with SEND given?

All staff receive the following training:

  • Child protection and safeguarding
  • Team Teach

In addition, all staff receive ongoing training to help them meet the varying and complex

needs of the individual pupils. This training uses both internal expertise and external


As a provider of Outreach support to mainstream schools, as well as being a member of

the Maplefields Teaching School Alliance, the school is committed to continuous

professional learning and school to school support.


8. How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including school


Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to

participate in all school activities as much as is reasonably practicable to do so.

Our ethos is one of inclusion so we will always endeavour to make whatever adaptations

are necessary to enable pupils to be included in all educational opportunities, including

school trips.


9. How accessible is the school environment?

Our school is a safe and accessible building. All safeguarding procedures and risk

assessments are in place and adhered to by all staff. We have a range of different

facilities to help our students, staff and visitors throughout our school including disabled

toilets, wide corridors and technology to help with reading and writing.


10. How will the school support my child when joining Maplefields or transferring to a

new school?

A number of strategies are in place to enable effective student’s transition. These


Information will be obtained from the student’s previous placement and from parents

and carers. This information will include:

  • Assessment data
  • Individual Learning Plans
  • Annual Review/EHCP Targets
  • Individual Behaviour Support Plans


The transition process may include all or some of the following actions:

  • Staff undertake a visit to the current school
  • School staff attend Annual Review meetings when invited
  • Staff attend other multi-agency meetings when invited such as CAF meetings
  • Prospective pupils and their parents/carers visit Maplefields at least once
  • A tailored integration programme prepared


For pupils transitioning out of Maplefields to other school placements, close liaison is established

between staff. Opportunities to get to know the new school are put in place, including with

mainstream schools where appropriate.

11. How are decisions made about how much support my child will receive?

For pupils with a Statement or an Education Health and Care Plan, the decision regarding the

support required will be reached and agreed when the EHC Plan is being produced or at an

annual review of a statement and recommendations have been accepted by the ECHP Team.

Parents/carers, school staff and any other relevant professionals will be able to contribute to this

decision making process.

For pupils who are also looked after by the Local Authority (LAC pupils), further decisions about

the amount of support they will receive will be discussed and agreed at Personal Education Plan

(PEP) meetings. The decisions will then be recorded in the PEP’s and reviewed three times a year.

12. How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?

This may be done in a variety of ways, including:

• discussions with the class teacher, either in person or via telephone

• during ECH Plan and/Statement review meetings or post-admissions meetings

• during other meetings with school staff such as PEP meetings or other multi-agency meetings

• during discussions with a senior leadership team member

13. Who can I contact for further information or if I have any concerns?

If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs or have concerns about something regarding

your child’s schooling please contact one of the following in the first instance:

  • Your child’s class teacher
  • The School Office on 01536 424090
  • Extended team manager, Barry Curtis
  • Head teacher: Bev Wright
  • Chair of Governors (Kerry Mudd) via the school office

14. What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

As a school we can refer to a range of services including Child and Adolescent Mental Health

Service (CAMHS); Social Care; Educational Psychology Service; Connexions; Speech and Language

Service; Education Entitlement.

These services are contacted when necessary and appropriate, according to your child’s needs.

The school uses the CAF process when appropriate to do so, through the Family Support Workers.

Support services for parents/carers of children with SEN include:

The following services may be of assistance to you:

Special Educational Needs:


Education Entitlement Service:

Free School Meals

Free School Transport


Early Help Assessment (EAH):


Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service:


Special Needs Index (SNIX):


Northampton Parents Forum Group:


FACT Northampton (support group for ASD & ADHD):


Young Minds:


Links to the Local Authority Local Offers:

For parents/carers of pupils in living in Northamptonshire, the link to their local offer is:


For parents/carers of pupils living in Leicestershire, the link to their local offer is:

Get in touch

Contact us E