Ethos & Aims
We strive to motivate pupils who have so far found school a challenge by providing a safe, calm, caring learning environment which is stimulating through the richness of displays and the caring, nurturing approach and encouragement given to each pupil by staff. We work to foster a sense of belonging and to provide the opportunity for all pupils to develop a sense of self-worth, confidence and control over their lives.
Our main aims are:
- To provide opportunities for all pupils to follow a broad, balanced curriculum, which includes the National Curriculum, and to encourage each pupil to succeed and achieve their full potential with accreditation, whilst learning to establish independent working routines, managing their own behaviour through learning to make appropriate choices and accepting responsibility.
- To prioritise Basic Skills giving special emphasis to literacy. Our pupils generally arrive with poor literacy skills and we aim to improve their attainments and achievement in reading and writing using a variety of strategies, resources and learning styles.
- To provide, in addition, direct timetabled opportunities for pupils to learn social, behavioural and communication skills and self awareness through structured teaching.
- To help pupils develop a respect for themselves and others in order to be able to follow rules and become integrated and accepted members of the larger community who are able to form positive, meaningful relationships.
- To promote effective and supportive relationships with parents, carers and all other professionals involved with the pupils in working towards our agreed aims and values. The school promotes the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of all pupils together with equal opportunities to enable pupils to achieve the outcomes of Every Child Matters ensuring their safeguarding as our priority.